You may have noticed a lot of design elements were introduced in order to 'keep costs down.'
This is no different with the paint and finish of the consoles and screen
I used no specialist tools, only normal house paint brushes, rollers and paint.
The colours I chose were not exact replicas, I didn't use FS numbers or mil-spec standards. I didn't need it to look perfect, I just wanted it a similar shade of grey.
To do this, I went to my local hardware store, looked at a bunch of colour samples on the wall and chose a colour that looked almost similar to the general photo of the outside of an A-10C I had pulled up on my phone.
I chose one right of the wall- Dulux 'Moxa'.
I then chose one a few shades barker for other highlights and markings Dulux 'Hammer Grey'.
I actually have a compressor in my garage, and a decent spray gun from previous non flight sim projects. I tried it on one of the consoles, but the setup and cleaning of the gun afterwards was not worth the effort.
The great thing about using MDF, it paints very well. I used a normal brush and roller, and the results were similar if not better than the spray gun.
Most all parts were painted with a roller, two coats, with a light sand in between.
Front panel painted in Dulux Moxa
Front console painted in Dulux Moxa
Side console covers painted in Dulux Moxa
Side Console and Seat Base both painted in Moxa
Seat painted in Dulux Hammer Grey. I tried this as a final coat, but decided I didnt like it darker so I later recoated it in Moxa. The different coloured part around the Hose and roller mounts is a metal etch primer- overspray from when i did one of the rollers in place.
Before final paint I used upholstery nails like these in order to give the wood a metal look. These are simple nails usually used to keep leather/fabric onto timer frames. All I did was draw a line with pencil, mark some equal distances and bang them in with a hammer where i thought they should go to look like a rivet join.
No priming or anything necessary, i just went over them with a roller when doing the final coats of paint.
The seat rivets were placed in specific places, based on photos I had of the real seat.
For the console skins I just ruled a few lines and banged some in, to make it look like metal. Artistic licence used here- the real jet doesn't have rivets in this location.
Upholstery nails like these were used for rivet detail.
I rules a few lines, then marked ot the spacing and knocked the nails in with a hammer.
Rivet Detail on the seat and parachute container.
Rivet detail on the seat back. I placed them based on photos of the real thing.
The external markings on the cockpit console skins were done using the same paint method, roller and a brush.
I initially designed them in CorelDraw with intent to print out some templates, draw them on with pencil and then paint them on by hand.
I then realised i had a Laser Engraver, so all i did was lay down masking tape on the bed, cut them out of the tape, place them on and paint over them.
The external markings are actually in reverse. They are supposed to be black markings on a light grey main colour.
I only decided to do this method after i had already given the entire thing a coat of light grey, so i decided to place the mask down and paint the entire console in the darker shade of 'Hammer' grey. Peel off the masks and the lighter grey is exposed.
I did this because I really just wanted to break up the colour a bit- i was sick of the same shade of Dulux Mmoxa on everything, inside and out. I did the outside skins dark because the inside of the consoles and cockpit were already light. I had done a coat of dark on the seat as well, but after one coat i decided it would not look right so the seat went back to lighter grey.
Laser cut masking tape stuck on the side consoles awaiting paint. Locations were based of photos of the real jet.
I painted the outer skin of the panels in the darker Dulux Hammer Grey paint, then removed the masking tape which reveals the lighter paint underneath. Not realistic colours- but could be a Have Glass painted A-10C?
Both side consoles painted. The left console has the canopy ladder markings like the real jet.
All the black on the cockpit is just Rustoleum 2X Spray Flat Black from a can.
This is the same spray paint i use for the top coat of the panels before engraving. Pay the extra cash for quality spray paint- the $1 cans will give you a terrible finish. You get what you pay for.
I masked the glareshield up and hit it with two coats, and the parachute container as well.
Glareshield in matt black.
The green on the inside was an experiment. I was initially planning on having the side consoles exposed and waned an aircraft interior green colour visible, but changed my mind later on.
Parachute container sprayed in ,att black and some decal detail added.
Looking at photos of the real jet, i saw this sort of material was lining the cockpit. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I have seen similar material on the inside of Armoured Vehicles, and if its the same stuff it's called a spall lining. It is loosely fitted, and made of a Kevlar material designed to catch any projectile that somehow manager to penetrate the outer armour.
I found this stuff at a local fabric store (spotlight in Australia), and used it as a replica. I need to dye it grey, but haven't gotten to that yet. Looks the part and has a soft feel as well. Much more realistic than plain flat painted MDF.
Side console. You can see how I have added some strips of wood to the top section to give the inserts something to stick to.
The inserts about to be wrapped in the material.
The inserts mounted and wrapped in the almost coffin like material.
Copyright © 2022 The Warthog Project - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Coffee and Hate. And 30mm APDS-T.